|October 8, 2013|
|11:30 am||to||7:00 pm|
Join us on October 8 as IABC-OC welcomes world-renowned communications mastermind Shel Holtz, ABC, IABC Fellow, to Orange County! Shel will be our featured luncheon speaker and will be holding a two-part master class in the afternoon.
Luncheon and Master Class with
Shel Holtz, ABC, IABC Fellow
When: Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Luncheon: 11:30 a.m.
Master Class: 1:00 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Meet and Greet with the Teacher: 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Location: Scott’s Seafood, 3300 Bristol St., Costa Mesa, California 92626-1806 (get directions)
|* Includes evening Meet and Greet with Shel Holtz
Our ‘Day with Shel’
- Starts at 11:30 a.m. with lunch and a hot topic: Crisis Communications in the Social Media Era
- Continues at 1:00 p.m. with a Master Class covering two more hot topics:
- Exploration Session: Games and Gamification: An Emerging Trend To Amplify Your Message
- Hands-on Session: Content Marketing Essentials to Amplify Your PR and Marketing Communications
Whether you meet us just for lunch, simply attend the Master Class and stay for drinks, or join us for all the day’s events, you will leave inspired!
What you will learn:
Luncheon: Crisis Communications in the Social Media Era
Understanding the dynamics of social media during a crisis is key to minimizing its impact on your organization. Highlights include:
- Why having frontline employees engaged in their own social channels will produce the best results
- The role of blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and other channels
- Why responding without waiting for approvals is the norm in the 140-character news cycle (and how to get the approval you need proactively)
- The need for ongoing updates through social channels, even when there’s nothing new to say
Master Class Part 1: Exploration Session
Games and Gamification: An Emerging Trend To Amplify Your Message
In this session, digital communications expert Shel Holtz will introduce you to the principles of gaming and gamification that will help you get prepared to add these increasingly important tools to your communication toolkit. Highlights include:
- How applying games to communication challenges can produce better outcomes
- The key motivations that drive people to spend so much time playing games
- The different types of games and how they can be used to achieve PR/communications goals
- The significant and often-misunderstood difference between games and gamification
Master Class, Part 2: Hands-on Session
Content Marketing Essentials to Amplify Your PR and Marketing Communications
Smart PR today demands that companies adopt innovative ways to expand their digital presence and engage with their customers, businesses, and individuals—the community—on their terms. Simply putting out ads and media messages isn’t enough. If you fail to be relevant, your audience will abandon your brand. Highlights include:
- Amplify your marketing and PR content
- Power up your digital marcom strategies
- Create and curate content that’s relevant to your audience
- Measure and understand the analytic ‘tea leaves’
- Create a community of co-contributors
About Shel Holtz, ABC
Shel Holtz, ABC, IABC Fellow, is principal of Holtz Communication + Technology. A regular highly acclaimed speaker at a range of conferences, including the annual IABC World Conference, and corporate events worldwide, Shel is a well known social media mastermind. He is a prolific blogger, speaker, and author having written, among other things, Communication and Technology and Communicator’s Guide to Intranets, published by Ragan Communications, and Tactical Transparency: How Leaders Can Leverage Social Media to Maximize Value and Build their Brand and Writing for the WiredWorld, published by IABC. Shel is a Founding Research Fellow of the Society for New Communications Research, a member of the Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media advisory board, and a Fellow of the International Association of Business Communicators.
Agenda: Tuesday, October 8, 2013
11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Hangout with Holtz (Students only)
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Luncheon: Crisis Communications in the Social Media Era
1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Master Class Registration
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Master Class Part 1, Games and Gamification: How to Amplify Your Message
2:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. Master Class Part 2, Content Marketing Essentials to Amplify Your PR and Marketing Communications
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Meet and Greet with Shel and Friends
IABC-OC Second Tuesday Lunch Payment Policy
We accept reservations online with credit card payment only. Payment must be received online by credit card at time of reservation.
If you pay online by credit card, we will refund 100 percent of your registration fees if notice of cancellation is received by the Friday before the event. Due to catering guarantees, no-shows will be billed.
Walk-ins and payment by check
Walk-ins and payments by check are welcome, but must pay an additional $15 at the door. If you are paying by check, please make it payable to IABC-OC.